Allergens & dietary requirements
This component doesn't contain any allergens.
- 10 pieces quail
- as needed olive oil
- as needed sunflower oil
- as needed salt
- Preheat the sous vide system to 62°C.
- Clean the quails and cut off the heads, thighs, and backbones, so that the quails are left ‘en coffre’ with the wings still attached. Use the other parts for another preparation.
- Cut into the skin around the ‘armpits’ and pull the meat loose to the end of the bone and then twist off the rest of the wing. This leaves you with the suprême.
- Vacuum seal together with salt and olive oil.
- Cook the quails at 62°C for 45 minutes and then cool in iced water.
- Remove the quails from the vacuum bag and pat dry.
- To serve, heat the sunflower oil to 210°C.
- Place the quails on a wire skimmer one at a time and spoon over the very hot oil so that the skin turns golden brown and puffs up. Be careful, the oil might spit!
- Heat underneath a salamander grill or overhead warmer.
- Delicious in a dish with components of langoustine, sweetcorn, and rooibos.
- Goes well with components of wild garlic, rhubarb, and morel mushrooms.
- Perfect with sweet potato, garlic, and tomato.