Would you like to view this page?
To see this recipe or part of the website, you need an account. Click on the button below to get a free two-week Gastronomixs trial account. This page and a whole lot of extra features will be accessible immediately!
After the free trial period, you can choose to upgrade to a paid account to retain full access. For just €7 per month or €70 per year, you’ll have access to more than 4,800 components and hundreds of compositions!
tomatoes, any type
- Have ready a bowl of ice water large enough to accommodate the number of tomatoes. This should be approximately 7 parts water to 3 parts ice cubes.
- Remove any stem tips from the tomatoes.
- With a sharp knife, cut just through the skin of the tomato in two perpendicular lines on the bottom (not the stem side).
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Using a wire skimmer, drop a few tomatoes into the boiling water and remove them after 15 seconds.
- Transfer them to the ice water immediately so that they cool quickly and release their skins.
- When cold, remove the tomatoes from the water and take off the skins using a small knife.
- Put the tomatoes on kitchen paper to dry.
- Refrigerate until use.
- As a basic ingredient in various dishes, such as tomato salad, or as a side dish.
- It is very important that you use ripe tomatoes, the skins will come off much easier.
- If you'd like to use this technique on cherry tomatoes, only blanch them in the boiling water for 8 seconds.