Lightly pickled mackerel with young shoots of elm
Esben Holmboe Bang (1982) is the chef and co-owner of the three Michelin-starred restaurant Maaemo in Oslo, Norway. He was born and raised in Copenhagen, Denmark, but has spent most of his culinary career in Oslo. After finishing culinary school he worked at different Michelin-starred restaurants, such as Bagatelle**, Le Canard* and Feinschmecker.
In 2010 Esben opened Maaemo where he focuses on creating an experience around the clean, tantalising flavours of Norway, using entirely organic, biodynamic, or wild produce. A meal at Maaemo will take guests on a culinary tour of Norway that sees them travel from the temperate climes of the southerly Hvaler islands to the cold pristine waters of Norway's West Coast, and on to the expansive inland wilderness of Røros, as the tastes of Norway are brought to life on the plate. The food that is cooked at Maaemo is rooted in nature, culture, and heritage. In 2012 -just fourteen months after opening- Maaemo was awarded two Michelin stars, becoming the first and only restaurant in the Nordics to go from a zero to two-star rating in the guide. In 2016, Maaemo was awarded its third Michelin star, making Esben the youngest chef and the first in Norway to front a restaurant holding Michelin's highest accolade.
Creation by Esben Holmboe Bang, Maaemo***, Oslo, Norway.
Would you like to view this page?
To see this recipe or part of the website, you need an account. Click on the button below to get a free two-week Gastronomixs trial account. This page and a whole lot of extra features will be accessible immediately!
After the free trial period, you can choose to upgrade to a paid account to retain full access. For just €7 per month or €70 per year, you’ll have access to more than 4,300 components and hundreds of compositions!
Preparation method: apple and ramson gel
- Whisk the agar agar into the apple juice and pickle brine.
- Bring to the boil and cook in the agar agar for three minutes.
- Pour through a fishnet and set in a tray.
- Blend in a Thermomix until smooth. Slowly add the ramson oil as making a mayonnaise. Pass through a sieve.
Preparation method: pickle brine
- Bring all ingredients to the boil.
Preparation method: mackerel brine
- Mix ingredients.
Preparation method: mackerel fillets
- Gut and wash the mackerel and dry with a towel.
- Run a knife from behind the pectoral fin against the back bone towards the tail to remove the fillets. Repeat on the other side.
- Skin and then `V-bone' the fillet so that it becomes two pieces.
- Trim off the excess belly fat and set aside on greaseproof paper.
- Cover and store in the fridge.
Preparation method: ramson oil.
- Place the oil and ramson in the Thermomix.
- Set at 50ºC, speed 6, for fifteen minutes.
- Strain through a fishnet and let settle.
- Pour the oil into vacuum bags, leaving the water behind.
- Pull vacuum and freeze.